Victor McClinton's Gift - Servant-Leadership

 
Victor McClinton was murdered in 2012 on Christmas day by stray bullets from a gang related car to car shooting as he escorted a friend to their car outside his home in Pasadena, CA.  Life is full of ironies. Victor spent the majority of his adult life impacting the youth in his community as the founder and director of the Brotherhood Community Youth Sports League.  His life was probably taken by a young adult that he would have loved to mentor when they were a kid, in order to help them become a positive contributor to society as an adult.

Victor was a Servant-Leader in the Pasadena/Altadena community. He was a L.A. County sheriff's department employee for eighteen years, but made his mark on his community as the director of the Brotherhood Community Youth Sports League (BHC).  My son, Garrett, has participated in a variety of BHC sports and I've coached in their youth track and field, basketball, and flag football programs.


BHC was Victor's baby and he made sure that volunteer coaches and referees adhered to his youth sports model.  He had a clear vision of the experience he wanted every child to have who signed up for a BHC sport - positive coaching, everyone plays, balanced teams, and good sportsmanship.

My purpose in writing this blog is to honor Victor's life by highlighting the Servant-Leadership philosophy of Robert K. Greenleaf and to showcase tributes that were written about Victor on social media.

Victor wrote this facebook message on Christmas day:

"Merry Christmas to all and may God have blessed you over the year. Please let's not forget those less fortunate than us and those who have lost loved ones. Say a prayer for all. May God bless you in the upcoming year."
 
Victor's Christmas day message to all of his facebook friends is emblematic of how he lived his life, as a Servant-Leader; caring about and serving others, especially the youth in his community. Victor was a Servant-Leader.  Robert K. Greenleaf wrote a powerful essay in 1970 entitled, "The Servant as Leader." Since 1970, the essay has evolved into twenty-seven pages whose main thesis is that a great leader is first seen and experienced as a servant to others, and "this simple fact is central to their greatness." True leadership emerges from those whose primary motivation is a deep desire to serve others. Two essential dimensions contribute to one being viewed as a Servant-Leader - (1) The desire to serve others (individuals) (2) The desire to serve something beyond ourselves - a higher purpose (team, school, community.)


Coach Ray Lokar wrote an excellent blog on "The Servant-Coach."  His summary of key tenants of Greenleaf's philosophy is excellent - "The servant-leader is servant first... that person is sharply different from one who is leader first... the difference manifests itself in the care taken by the servant-first to make sure that other people's highest priority needs are being served. The best test, and difficult to administer, is: Do those served grow as persons? Do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants?"

Lokar goes on to highlight ten characteristics of Servant-Leaders that were developed by Larry C. Spears, who was the President of the Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership:

1. Listening
2. Empathy
3. Healing
4. Awareness
5. Persuasion
6. Conceptualization
7. Foresight
8. Stewardship
9. Commitment to the Growth of People
10. Building Community

 R.I.P. Victor - you'll be missed, but your legacy will endure.  Much Love and I'm saying that prayer that you requested on Christmas day for you, your family, and our community - God Bless!

Tributes to Victor

David Sheng - Victor was one of Bryon's {Sheng} first coaches back at the foothill YMCA. Even as a very young man Victor had a vision of the "right way" youth sports should be played. A vision that sports could bring kids of different backgrounds and different abilities together with the focus on making each player feel special and teaching the wonderful feeling of being part of a team. Even in 2013, neighborhoods of east and west Altadena hardly ever got to meet, and make friendships.. but if you go watch a Brotherhood Crusade game, you'll see the nicest parents from both sides of town helping, volunteering, coaching, refereeing. And more importantly you'll see kids playing sports together and making great memories. Half of my heart is broken today... only to be balanced by the remembering all the great teams Bryon, Andrew, Mike, Darren, Terrell had a chance to be part of.
Thank you, Victor


R.J. Stattler When I first meet Vic in the third grade he was a big scary guy with a big voice, and about 6 feet taller than me. But that changed after speaking to him and hearing the protective and caring undertone in his voice. And as I spent more time with him through the years of playing sports, volunteering, and working with him, I grew to know a great man and a great friend (who sometimes helped me with lady-friend advice ;-) ). By his death, the people who knew him will miss an individual with a rare HONEST friendliness, great since of humor (sometimes "inappropriate" when children were not around ...I loved it...he could make you laugh when you are having a bad day), a loving, caring, supportive father and husband who would do anything in his power for his children and wife. Albert Einstein said, “The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.” Vic was a man who gave. He gave SO much to the community, family, friends,work... We need to celebrate of his life. It DEMANDS notice!!! A life that exemplified a giving father, loving husband, and good man. A life that inspired emulation and confidence in others. He WILL be remembered! He is loved and will be missed a lot.

Byron Sheng I am very saddened to learn that Coach Victor Mcclinton was fatally shot yesterday. Victor was 1 of my first YMCA coaches & 1 of the many people that influenced me growing up to be the person I am today. He founded the Brotherhood Crusade League in Pasadena that my dad coached in and that my family played in. Didn't matter that I played for him almost 30 years ago, he stayed in touch with me through my playing days, as a parent, and was there when I decided to get in to coaching. He was just as supportive of me as an adult and he was when I was 10. Victor was an amazing person, he touched so many people in his time on Earth. He gave back to his community and did everything he could to help all the kids in his program or that he coached become better people. He was one of my role models.  RIP, Coach Victor. You will be greatly missed.

Ken Kikkawa - Words cannot describe the tragic loss of our friend. To me, Victor was a friend and mentor, leading by example with his tireless efforts and providing outlet for youth sports in our community. Through Victor and Brotherhood Crusade Youth Sports, my kids developed a spirit of sportsmanship, teamwork and camaraderie, while establishing friendships that will last for a lifetime. Along with my family, Victor impacted the lives of tens of thousands of people while he gave so much of himself for others. Victor was a leader of men, women and children and he will be dearly missed. There are no answers in times like this but I am finding comfort in thanking God for sharing Victor with all of us. Even if you did not know Victor personally, please keep his wife Shelly and their family in your prayers.

Courtney Wilder My heart is in pain. My Friend and mentor has been taken away from us way too soon. I can't hold back the tears especially knowing the community he loved, supported and spent countless days and nights helping would take him away from us. In memory of Victor we have to win this battle with our youth - that's what he was all about. I would like to thank Victor for leading by example. My family and I are greatly appreciative for all you have allowed us to do through your program. If you know Victor it was more than winning on the field or court, he wanted our kids to win in life. You will be missed but never forgotten Big Brother.

Darius Brown, Sr. - A staple in the community was lost yesterday. A Husband, A Father, A Son, a Coach, a Community leader was lost. Victor was influential on myself, my sons, my brothers, my nephews, and most kids in the community and out. Victor was a strong, kind hearted man and will definitely be missed. RIP Victor McClinton....

Pancho ScottToday we lost a another Husband, father, friend, mentor and just a really Great man and pillar of the community. He had an influence on me, my kids and thousands of other parents and kids. RIP VICTOR you are forever loved and never forgotten!

Mondy Herndon - We are so very sad to hear this terrible news on Christmas day. Rest in peace, dear Victor. You did so much for the community and for my son, Max. You are the reason he loves sports as much as he does and the reason he truly understands the meaning of sportsmanship. You were an amazing coach and mentor and we celebrate your life and all of the contributions you made to others in our community. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Zena Marie Yamamoto - My entire family is heartbroken. Victor, you were a bright light, impacting countless children and families with your great care and guidance. You exemplified sportsmanship, and lived your life with kindness, generosity, humility, and an unsurpassed work ethic. I hope that God will share with you how your strength, love, decency, and good will were a model of His love on earth. We will miss you dearly. Thank you for always encouraging my children and sharing your love for coaching with my husband. We are richer for having known you and will dearly miss you and that bigger than life grin. Our love and prayers are with Shelly, Christian, and Cameron.

We're all heartbroken too, Ken. Victor has been in our lives since he was with the YMCA back when our now 22-year-old son was a little guy in that league. This is a crushing loss, but we too are comforted by knowing that God is welcoming this dear, amazing man. Our love and prayers are with Shelly and their sons. Shelly had been a constant support of Victor and all he did for our community's children.

Dylan YamamotoRest in Peace Victor McClinton. You were a wonderful coach, mentor, friend, and human being. You gave so much to our community and will always be missed and can never be replaced. You deserved so much better. May God bring comfort to your family. God bless you.

Gamal SmalleySo passionate about giving was our brother Victor, that an entire community of tears rain down on this day, as we offer prayers to his family. Words cannot express the grief in the loss but I know heaven will gain one heck of an organizing angel. May God give comfort to his family at this very difficult time. Psalms 30:5 - Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning.


Brotherhood Crusade - The Brotherhood Crusade is deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Victor McClinton, who was killed on Christmas Day. A devoted husband and a father of two sons, Victor also mentored many thousands more children through his service to the Brotherhood Youth Sports League in Pasadena, where he transformed the lives of countless Los Angeles County youths. More than 1,100 boys and girls participate in the Sports League, which is a unique after school program that helps young people build key personal skills such as self-confidence, teamwork and conflict resolution, while becoming physically fit and developing healthy behaviors that will serve them a lifetime. For more than a dozen years, Victor, who was a full time employee of the LA County Sheriff's Department, generously carved out time from his busy schedule to help cultivate the next generation. We have lost a great servant to children, their families and the greater Los Angeles community. This is the second loss to the Brotherhood Crusade family in only two months. In late October, our own Vincent Maddox, who graduated from our Jr. Executive Leadership Program, was also senselessly murdered.

Darren Frank This has truly saddened my heart. Not just the lost of a friend and great human being but the pain and sadness bestowed on his family on this of all days. I have no words to express my feelings right now. My heart truly goes out to his family.

Donald Sparks Victor was more than a man and a friend. His work, his life, made others lives better and made a community stronger. This is not only a loss for his family and friends, but for a entire community. The city of Pasadena and community of Altadena has lost someone who can never be replaced. Victor, we owe you more than we can ever repay. May GOD hold and keep you.

Marc HowardThis day to some means nothing, to some a persons life means nothing....I just lost a good buddy of mine today....the world just lost a good caring family man today...RIP Victor McClinton. My prayers to your wife & boys.....I've coached my son & 2 step sons in his basketball league Brotherhood Crusade, & another step son ran track. Victor continued support of the kids who've left his program & are in high school. A man who contributed quite a bit to the Pasadena community. I along with a lot of people are truly heart broken. UNBELIEVABLE.

Rodney Lister - I just was informed that my high school classmate, Victor McClinton was killed this morning in an act of violence. I am so sad. This man use to watch out for me in school. Would drive to COMPTON and pick me up to take me to games. Would always talk to me about getting good grades and going to college. Hell, he was the reason I played soccer in school because he made it sound fun. Who kills someone on Christmas? I mean, doesn't the game take a break on Christmas? RIP Victor. You will be missed. Sadness.

Lance Cowart - I am going to truly miss you my friend. Thanks for always being there for me when I needed it. And thank you for making me always be there for you, when you needed me.

Pamela Davis - A good friend of mine was killed today in a random act of cowardice. RIP Victor McClinton. You made a big contribution to the lives of many kids over the years. You will be missed.

Adam Ross - Sometime Christmas isn't as joyful as you'd have liked it to be... Rest in Peace Victor McClinton, thank you for helping form the environment that has molded me into the man I am. 

Tommy Loera - He was really good at modeling all of us to well rounded people. Always there when we needed him and would put others before himself. I learned so much from him.

Marshall Higa -  R.I.P. Victor McClinton. He was a role model and community leader for countless kids growing up in the Pasadena area. He was the only coach I had growing up as a kid that kept in touch with me all the way into the present. Why anyone would murder such a great human being is incomprehensible.

 To Victor's wife and children,

My heart mourns at the loss of your father. It was far too soon. Christmas day will never be the same. Today should have been a day of rejoicing. Instead, we are faced with a great tragedy. But rest assured that even in this time of hardship and mourning, God gave our community a wonderful and powerful gift in the life of your father. I have been so blessed to have met your dad and my heart is full of thanks for the legacy that he has left. He touched the lives of so many people over the years, so rejoice in his memory and the lessons he left us with. As I reflect on him and the impression that he left on my life, I am humbled by God's goodness and am empowered by memory of the person that your father was. My prayers go out to you in these hard times. God bless you.


Marshall dedicated a great blog to Victor: "Greatness is Measured by How we Treat the Least of These"

Karen StattlerWe just lost a dear friend today to unlawful guns, Victor McClinton, a dear friend, a mentor to my sons and many other sons and daughters. God, you have a wonderful man - your gain is our severe loss of a friend to all!

Wayne Allen Much love and prayers go out to Coach Vicks family. He was a great person to know. He was Mr. Everything for us at the Foothill Y.M.C.A. My camp counselor/My flag football coach/ basketball coach and referee. With such a passion to see young people and people in general succeed. I thank God for people like Victor McClinton, Jaque Bolton and Danny Bakewell who have impacted my life in such a powerful and profound way. We love you Coach Vick and you will be truly missed.

Paul Hardy -  Victor will be greatly missed. it was he who got me into coaching and mentoring. There are a lot of people who are better off having known Victor. God bless and keep the family. Gone too soon.

Charles Ford Victor was truly a community leader and staple of Pasadena/Altadena sports. My son played almost every sport with Brotherhood Crusade. I coached with Brother Crusade. I told EVERYONE with children in the area to go see Victor if they want their child to participate in an great sports program and develop athletically, emotionally and develop friendships. The loss of Victor will leave a huge void in the sports community. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He will definitely be missed.

John PingsI am absolutely blown away by the passing of Victor McClinton of Brotherhood Sports Crusade, cause unknown at this time. Victor McClinton taught us how to coach for the kid on the very end of the bench, involve everyone, accept people's faults, play to the strengths. We greatly admire his service to others, sense of community, and joy for sports, shared so freely with any that would ask. We are deeply saddened and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and Cam and Christian. God Bless.

Brandon BrooksVictor McClinton was my first coach and I will never forget him. He was a brother, uncle and a father figure in my life. He was one of the most sincere people I could ever meet and I thank God for bringing him in my life. I pray for his family and hope God brings justice to his family. -- Pamela Bakewell responds to Brooks' message - I am so grateful to Victor, for teaching you discipline. He was the best personal coach ever and proved his love by making sure you did the right thing and, mist important, made good choices. Love you Vic.

Jenny Flint-Curtis - RIP Victor. A great man who cared about the youth of the community. May your legacy live on.

Jonathan AlcornOne of the best men I've ever known. Rest in peace.
 
Skip McNevin - Thank you RJ. Vic touched and improved the lives of so many kids and families. Hopefully everyone will remember Victor for how much he gave back to the community and do the same in his memory. 
 

Tamara Beckham Dilbeck This news is so heartbreaking. My son has played flag football under his guidance for the past 3 years. A great program and a great man. Prayers go out to his family at this difficult and sad time. God bless.

Vincent Moss - I worked with Victor at the Foothill Y which is now Corral on New York Dr. in Pasadena and he was nice, cool, and just a good man. He is the 10th man I know who has been killed by gunfire. Victor I will be praying for your family and all of us who were touched by your kindness.

Rick Dinger - This was the last post made by Victor McClinton prior to him being killed by a random act of violence. Victor ran the Brotherhood Crusade Sports program my son's participated in for many years. Victor was a great man and made the world a better place. He will be missed by many.
"Merry Christmas to all and may God have blessed you over the year. Please let's not forget those less fortunate than us and those who have lost loved ones. Say a prayer for all. May God bless you in the upcoming year."

Stephani HardyWe are all in shock...what he did for all our kids in the Pasadena area....how he brought us all together...what an incredible loss

Tawnya Winemiller - you will be missed by many. Andrew & I will keep your family in our prayers. You were a wonderful man with a huge heart. You will never be forgotten.
Celebrating the life of a great friend. Victor McClinton will always be in our hearts. He was a great guy who will never be forgotten. Thank you for your friendship.
 
 
Ann Olson AyersI am so saddened at the loss of a truly great man. Victor was the most selfless and generous man and mentor. He was a strong influence in my sons life...I will never forget you.

David Clark I was just awakened by some tragic and shocking news coming from my television. My God! 5 short years ago Jacques Bolton told me about a really good guy over at Brotherhood Crusade that I should go and see. My son had outgrown Jacques sports program and I was looking for a new program to put him in. Upon our first meeting Vic and I hit it off and we became friends. It was a little over a week ago that Vic left me a message on Facebook to come by and see him. I hadn't gotten around to calling him or seeing him and now this. This is a great reminder to me that no one is promised tomorrow so we should embrace our friends and loved ones as much as we can, and not put off what we can do today. Vic, I love you man and I will miss you! Gone waaaaayyy too soon! My heart is heavy tonight. Please lift up the McClinton family in prayer, and all those who knew and loved Victor McClinton!

Lakers Kush You'll be missed coach Vic Since five years old I played for you and your leagues just a awesome person you'll be deeply missed! 

Jason FletcherVictor, I didn't know you as well as the scores of individuals who lives you have touched, and help mold, but I know from just looking at the outpouring of support, love, condolences, and even anger that the decades of dedication to families, and youth, your mark has been made, and your influence is evident. You were an humanitarian, youth advocate, but neither would have been possible if you had not been a devoted and impeccable husband and father. You have sown many seeds that I hope and pray one day will blossom and have the grand impact you have had on a community. I thank you personally, for doing God's will!...Rest in Peace!...

Gretchen Zelek - An incredible man. He will be missed. I can't think of anyone else that has made a bigger impact in the lives of kids in Pasadena.

Christina NicoleRest In Heavenly Peace Victor.. Thank you for the opportunity you gave me and so many other kids of Pasadena and around through the sport of basketball and others.. praying for your family.. we will meet again one day in the presence of our Lord...

Kellen Chris Everything you did for the community & the kids of Pasadena/Altadena will never be forgotten... R.I.P Victor Mcclinton

Patricia Urzua - I just heard the horrific news of your passing. I never got the chance to thank you for all of your hard work! My son was given an opportunity through your program to play the sports he loved so much. You will be missed...

Anton CunninghamThank U Victor for being an inspiration, motivation, & role model to me and to so many others!!! Actions always speak louder than words...Your actions were always louder!!! Thanks Coach!!! RIP Victor!!! I LOVE U!!!

Tracy RichardsI was so sadden to hear of Victor's passing. My son "cut his teeth" on basketball, track and football through your program. It was a pleasure getting to know you and being a part of your organization. Even though my son is now a freshman at Muir I would love to be a part of making sure that your legacy... The Brotherhood Community Youth Sports league continue for many generations to come!

Skyye De Catur Thanks for being my being my coach! Will never be forgotten. RIP COACH VIC
I just came back from Victor McClinton vigil. I cried the whole time. In remembrance I bought some shoes saying: RIP Coach Victor. I'm so sad and can't believe one of Pasadena's finest icons also a dad, husband, and my coach. I'm crying as I'm posting this, this second. RIP Coach Victor

Chris Penn -  My heart hurts right now for Victor McClinton and his family. Two of my daughters, my nephew and my daughter's half sister attended Brotherhood Crusade basketball programs. I myself was a coach of several teams. I couldn't say enough about Victor, we've lost a great one.

Fernando of Zeeni Uniforms - I’ve know Victor for seven years. He was a good customer, great friend, great father and an all around amazing guy. I wish I could tell him how I feel. Whenever he came into to office he would sit with me and tell me all about his family and always ask about mine. He was a very down to earth guy, as a customer he was always very humble. I’m going to truly miss him. – Fernando

C.J. Wilder I NEVER HAD THE TIME TO SAY THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR STARTING MY BASKETBALL CAREER. R.I.P VICTOR 
 
Karen Page - You will always be in my heart Victor for what you have done and for the life you led and all the many children you took under your wing including mine. What an AWESOME individual, you are blessed just as you have blessed so many that came into your world. RIP my friend, you are loved.

Christine Manning -  Victor, I have so much sadness in my heart, hearing of this tragedy. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting you, but from what I see and understand, you were such an awesome guy...wish i could say it while you were alive. You will forever be in my heart and prayers. You are now with our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus, resting in Paradise...AMEN!! And for those evildoers...they will suffer the wrath of God!!  R.I.P. xoxo

 Winnifer CarrollHe was an extraordinary man, A true servant. He will be missed. Let's all take his lead, until we see him again in heaven.

Kimberly Engstrom You will always be remembered as treasured friend and coach. My family has been touched by you in a way that will never be forgotten. We love you Victor and will miss you dearly. We pray that your family finds peace in knowing how deeply our community cares about them. May you rest in peace.

Brian Reed Victor is the kind of black man that our community can not afford to loss! He was touching so many lives in a world where so many times that is not the case!  I met Victor in passing but I feel as though I know personally, I and my best friend sit here stunned hurt and saddened for our loss! The world has lost a great man!   Young men and woman have lost a lifeline! 

Thomas ParrishThis week, the brotherhood of Verbum Dei High lost a great man,Victor McClinton. He touched so many hearts with his love and direction. REST IN PEACE COACH. You inspire me to do more and be more. Be more do more My Brothers. 

J.D. Henderson - I will pray for his family. Pasadena lost a leader, a wonderful and caring man that made the world a better place for his having been here. My kids loved him and knew he loved the kids of our community right back. How sad. He will be missed.


Jay DoI met a gentleman today. As we began to talk I inquired where he was from. He replied, "Pasadena". I began to tell him about Victor Mcclinton passing and how we attended Verbum Dei together. The gentleman proceed to tell me that he knows Victor very well. I ask him how and he begins to tell me that he was in Vic's programs growing up as a youth in Pasadena. He praised Vic for his dedication to the youth. He went on to say not only will Victor's family & friends be missing a great man but the impact his passing will have on the City of Pasadena and the youth in the area for years to come. I was touched to meet someone that felt Vic's presence in the community. Small world that I ran into this gentleman. It gave me a great since of pride to have known Wink. God Bless my brother and rest in peace.



Jannie McKinneyHey Johnny, I just realize that Victor was a friend of yours on facebook as well as a classmate! He was also a great friend of mine, a co-worker as well as my daughter first basketball coach 14 years ago. I am so sadden by the lost of our friend and Pasadena City mentor. I can say that anytime we weren't talking about Brotherhood Youth Sport League that he was talking about trying to help some that was less fortunate than us and how I can help him help them. Victor well truly be missed by my entire family. We all love Victor like he was family.

Juan Martinez - I am in complete disbelief about what has happened. I just shared with my two boys about this great loss, as we just found out about it. My boys, now 19 & 15 grew up playing Basketball with The Brotherhood Crusade, and to say the least, they too were shocked. I had great admiration for Victor, for what love and care he genuinely showed to all the kids of his organization. I remember sharing with him over at Blair HS, during my older sons basketball game, that I wanted to promote my son in preparation for College Football. Victor went out of his way to talk to me about it, after that basketball game. He told me that was his son was a successful HS football player and that he too had been looking to promote him. Victor was so cool and kind to even let me borrow a promotional DVD video he had made of his son, as a guide for me to promote my son. This is a great loss to the community and organization... Victor will truly be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the McClinton Family and BHC Organization. God Bless.


Raul F. Salinas - Victor was an angel on earth. His work through the Brotherhood Crusade sports program will have an everlasting ripple effect for any parent and child who participated under his stewardship. What he accomplished is too great to quantify, what he taught about the character of sports too voluminous to chronicle, and the example of what it means to be a a real mentor too meaningful to ever forget. Oh, how great it would be to hear your thunderous voice echo again inside the gym to players and coaches at the start of each game: "line 'em up." We all miss you Victor. See you at the buzzer at Heaven's court. We all got a game to finish in your honor.


Rebecca Fleming - Both of my children started sports by starting with the Brotherhood Community Sports League. Victor McClinton was a kind man who epitomized community spirit and leadership. His death is a tragic reminder that life is very short and sweet and precious. Its still hard to believe that God called him home. My love, support and prayers go not only out to his family during this time ... but the community as a whole. We are in need of prayers and healing.


Amy May - This is so heartbreaking... He was such a great person, and so committed to this organization and the kids. This is so hard to digest. Our love, condolences and prayers go out to his family and to the great organization he created. This has such a big impact on our community. He will not be forgotten.

Scott ChamberlainOur hearts are saddened by this tragic loss, especially for Shelley and the boys. Victor was such a good man, and he will be missed. Some of my first memories of my son Josh playing flag football and Basketball, were during Brotherhood leagues. Victor was tirelessly serving from early morning, until late at night! Thank you Victor for all you did for my family and many others. May God give a deep sense of comfort and support to the family and friends during this time. Scott and Beth

Milissa Thompson Marona - Our hearts are so saddened by this senseless loss! Victor was such a dedicated man to the youth of Pasadena! My son Tyler is a better man for having played Brotherhood Sports. We are praying for the family...


Richard J Forcione - Dear Victor, It was a pleasure working with you at the YMCA. I will miss you always brother. You'll always be in my heart....never forget you. You were truly a God send for all of us. 


Tanya Coles - I grew up with Victor. He was wonderful then. We lost contact but it doesn't surprise me that he touched so many people by his kindness. God bless those he loved.


Musical Tribute

Candace Lacy sung a stirring rendition of "If I Can Help Somebody," a traditional gospel song that was a Mahalia Jackson classic, at the Vigil that was held for Victor McClinton on the steps of the Pasadena courthouse on 12/27/12. I wish I had a video of Candace's version, but since I don't, I've chosen to highlight W. Clifford Petty's version of the song.  It's a musical tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that was given at the Dexter Ave. King Memorial Baptist Church on April 2, 2011 in Montgomery, AL. 


 
If I can help somebody, as I pass along,
If I can cheer somebody, with a word or song,
If I can show somebody, how they're traveling wrong,
Then my living shall not be in vain.

Chorus:
My living shall not be in vain,
Then my living shall not be in vain
If I can help somebody, as I pass along,
Then my living shall not be in vain.

If I can do my duty, as a good man ought,
If I can bring back beauty, to a world up wrought,
If I can spread love's message, as the Master taught,
Then my living shall not be in vain.

Chorus:
 © 1945, Alma B. Androzzo

Historical Footnote - Dr. Martin Luther King quoted the lines of "If I can help somebody" at the end of his famous "Drum Major Instinct" sermon on 2/4/68, which was the last sermon, not speech (I've been to the Mountaintop,) that he ever gave - "Dr. King encouraged his congregation to seek greatness, but to do so through service and love." "King concluded the sermon by imagining his own funeral, downplaying his famous achievements and emphasizing his heart to do right."

And so Jesus gave us a new norm of greatness. If you want to be important—wonderful. If you want to be recognized—wonderful. If you want to be great—wonderful. But recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. That's a new definition of greatness.
And this morning, the thing that I like about it: by giving that definition of greatness, it means that everybody can be great, because everybody can serve.


 ......Every now and then I guess we all think realistically about that day when we will be victimized with what is life's final common denominator—that something that we call death. We all think about it. And every now and then I think about my own death and I think about my own funeral. And I don't think of it in a morbid sense. And every now and then I ask myself, "What is it that I would want said?" And I leave the word to you this morning.


If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don’t want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long. (Yes) And every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize—that isn’t important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards—that’s not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school. (Yes) I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others. (Yes)
I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.
I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question. (Amen)
 I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry. (Yes)
And I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. (Yes)
I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison. (Lord)
I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity. (Yes)
Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. (Amen) Say that I was a drum major for peace. (Yes) I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. (Yes) I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. (Amen) And that's all I want to say.

If I can help somebody as I pass along,
If I can cheer somebody with a word or song,
If I can show somebody he's traveling wrong,
Then my living will not be in vain.
If I can do my duty as a Christian ought,
If I can bring salvation to a world once wrought,
If I can spread the message as the master taught,
Then my living will not be in vain.
Yes, Jesus, I want to be on your right or your left side, (Yes) not for any selfish reason. I want to be on your right or your left side, not in terms of some political kingdom or ambition. But I just want to be there in love and in justice and in truth and in commitment to others, so that we can make of this old world a new world.

Suggest you start at 12:56 mark of video if you don't want to listen to entire sermon.

Links to Articles & Media Coverage

Hundreds honor Pasadena sports youth leader fatally shot on Christmas Day (Photos) | 89.3 KPCC

"Remembering Victor McClinton:"

Mentor Slain in Christmas Day Shooting Remembered: "He Was a Gift" | NBC Southern California  

Community Holds Vigil For Father, Youth Advocate Fatally Shot In Pasadena « CBS Los Angeles  

Pasadena comes together to remember Victor McClinton - Pasadena Star-News

Friends, neighbors reeling after Victor McClinton killed outside Pasadena home -  

Man Killed In Pasadena Christmas Shooting Was LA County Sheriff’s Employee « CBS Los Angeles




The Victor McClinton Family Fund
 
Many caring and concerned families have asked how they may help the McClinton family.  A fund has been established to do just that--assist Shelly and her sons with the mounting hospital, medical, funeral, and other expenses associated with Victor's untimely death. 

The fund is also designed to support one of Victor's dreams, which is to have both sons graduate from college.  

Checks/Donations may be made out to:

The Victor McClinton Family Fund
c/o JP Morgan Chase
Attn: Cheryl McMurray, Branch Manager
1305 S Fair Oaks Avenue
South Pasadena, Ca. 91030
 
 

Comments

  1. Marshall Higa wrote a touching blog for Victor - "Greatness is Measured by How we Treat the Least of These:" http://bit.ly/Rph3JB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CG's View Of KG (Kevin Garnett) When He Was In High School

That's my Game! Big House on Coach John McLendon - Father of Black College & Fast Break Basketball

Real Talk - Greg Newell on Dennis Johnson