Women's World Cup - Why I prefer Women's Soccer over Women's Basketball



Enjoyed watching USA vs. Brazil 2011 Women's World Cup game on July 10, 2011. Game had all the elements one could hope for in a high stakes game. Intense, physical play. Brilliant goals by two of the best women ever to play the game of futbol. Controversial calls. Great saves. Drama from the beginning to the end. Overtime - last minute goal in stoppage time off the head of Abby Wambach off a beautiful diagonal cross from Megan Rapinoe. Penalty Shoot-out with a beautiful save from Hope Solo. As @Sinqued stated: "The Strategy ... the Drama, ... the Sex Appeal! Did I say DRAMA? Gotta luv it!"

Great post-game interview conducted by Bob Ley with Hope Solo and Abby Wambach. With approximately 3:30 remaining on the interview Ley asks Solo & Wambach about 2007. Great question and an even better response. Click on this link to listen to interview.

A couple of weeks before this game, one of my favorite journalists and writers, Wendy Parker, asked me WHY I preferred to watch women play soccer instead of basketball. This was my reply to her:

So many reasons, but watching bits of the Norway Vs Equatorial Guinea World Cup soccer game helped me crystallize my thoughts. Due to the inherent nature of soccer, rarely are there competitive mismatches, as there are in basketball, when a 9th seed is paired against a 61st ranked team. EQG vs. NOR game was very competitive and the outcome was in doubt until the referee blew her whistle. Can you imagine what the score would be in Women's or Men's basketball if a 9th seed plays a 61st seed? Women's basketball is a vastly different game than men's basketball, while women's soccer is more comparable to men's soccer. The athletic difference (Physical) between women and men is more evident in basketball than soccer. I can appreciate women's basketball, but it pales in comparison to the men's game. If I watch a women's soccer game, I don't compare it to the men's game, I just appreciate the talent and the skills that are being exhibited on the Pitch.

At the youth levels, girls playing basketball can be brutal. I wonder about the pipeline of talent for women's basketball based on my anecdotal observations/conclusions that sports like soccer and volleyball siphon elite athletes away from basketball. I think the talent pool is deeper in soccer and volleyball and that both of these sports get a higher quality female athlete.

All games are hard to master, but soccer is an easier game to play than basketball at the youth levels. Soccer, once you understand and appreciate it, and many Americans don't, is a beautiful game to watch. It truly is "The Beautiful Game," and so chess like in it's tactics and strategies. The dimensions of the field vs. the court also add to the appeal of soccer, more wide open than basketball, which adds to the beauty of the sport.

I never appreciated soccer until I started coaching youth soccer. Immediately saw the similarities between basketball, which made it easy to coach. Like the fact that at the highest levels, it's truly a players game. The flow of soccer is so pure in contrast to football and basketball.

I have a confession to make. Nothing beats a NBA playoff game or the passion and intensity of a NCAA tournament game, but during the regular season, I would rather watch a high level European soccer game than a typical NBA contest. So my viewing habits in watching soccer vs. basketball also have to do with the competitive intensity exhibited in the sport vs. basketball in a typical match, whether it's men or women playing. Hope that answers your question, Wendy.

What say you? Which sport do you prefer watching - Women's soccer or Women's basketball? Please feel free to comment below.

Wendy's reply to my response caused her to reference an article by Jason de Vos that detailed one big difference in men and women's soccer, the goalkeepers (See pt. 5.)
After referencing that article, Wendy and I had a conversation on twitter:

Wendy: "Still think there are sizable physical gaps in m/w soccer as in hoops. But that may just be perception on my part."

Clarence: "Gaps are there, but not as noticeable, mainly b/c soccer is not as reliant on explosive movements (jumping & 1st step quickness,) Difference at " keeper" between m/w is so noticeable because it's the 1 position in soccer that mimics explosive traits that are important in basketball."

Wendy:  "And many of the best guys are really tall, too, 6-6 and up. When USA's Scurry was in her prime no one embodied all that any better. Loved covering her in WWC & WUSA; great to talk to."

Update: Another good comparison of women's vs. men's game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CG's View Of KG (Kevin Garnett) When He Was In High School

That's my Game! Big House on Coach John McLendon - Father of Black College & Fast Break Basketball

Real Talk - Greg Newell on Dennis Johnson