Ernie Barnes - Celebrating his Genius and Life - Seeing Humanity
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Ernie Barnes, great American artist, died on 4/27/09. Linking Ernie Barnes' biography. Barnes' life journey is inspirational and I love how he acquired his authentic voice and expressed himself through his unique style of painting.
I first became aware of his art work by watching the hit TV show, Good Times. JJ's art work was done by Ernie Barnes. It was alluring and always captured your imagination. However, Barnes didn't really enter my consciousness until I had an encounter with Coach Bill Hayes, head football coach at WSSU, in the late 70's. In his office was an Ernie Barnes original. The first time I saw it, I said to Coach Hayes, 'that's a nice print.' He gently corrected me and told me that it was an original piece of art from his friend and teammate at NCCU, Ernie Barnes. How cool was it for me to see an original piece of Barnes art in a small, cramped office at a historical Black University. Actually, given Barnes background and his powerful depiction of black images and life, it was the most appropriate venue to be introduced to this great artist and man.
I'm inspired by Barnes art, but even more inspired by his life story. I hope you take time to enjoy the following video tributes.
Music Tribute with Oleta Adams singing "Another Day has Come and Gone."
Wonderful poetic tribute by J. Ivy - "Ernie Barnes This Heart of Art."
Ernie Barnes in his Own Words
I'm inspired by Barnes art, but even more inspired by his life story. I hope you take time to enjoy the following video tributes.
Wonderful poetic tribute by J. Ivy - "Ernie Barnes This Heart of Art."
Ernie Barnes in his Own Words
Ernie Barnes: An American Story
In the "Ernie Barnes in his Own Words" video tribute, Barnes related why the majority of his subjects have their eyes closed in his paintings. Because individuals are blind to the humanity in other human beings. "We fail to see the gifts, the strengths that people might possess, but we are very quick to tell them what they can't do. It's very easy for us to find fault and to slam a person who is sincerely trying to make an effort to achieve. Striving for self improvement is one of the deepest and most distinctive human impulses. We need art as a tool to provide a sense of meaning and significance to human life that can't be gained in any other way."
This view of life comes from a very powerful place, Barnes' life experiences. Do you see the humanity in your fellow man/woman? We're all unique and have something special to offer if given the chance and the opportunity. Barnes' words and paintings cause me to reflect on my own attitudes to the people that I interact with. See the beauty and potentiality in each human being!
Ernie, I never met you, but I feel I know you. I thank you for sharing your life's work and passion. It's brought joy to many. I celebrate your life on this day, August 4, 2010. Thanks for fervently pursuing your gifts and talents from God with passion, purpose and heart.
In the "Ernie Barnes in his Own Words" video tribute, Barnes related why the majority of his subjects have their eyes closed in his paintings. Because individuals are blind to the humanity in other human beings. "We fail to see the gifts, the strengths that people might possess, but we are very quick to tell them what they can't do. It's very easy for us to find fault and to slam a person who is sincerely trying to make an effort to achieve. Striving for self improvement is one of the deepest and most distinctive human impulses. We need art as a tool to provide a sense of meaning and significance to human life that can't be gained in any other way."
This view of life comes from a very powerful place, Barnes' life experiences. Do you see the humanity in your fellow man/woman? We're all unique and have something special to offer if given the chance and the opportunity. Barnes' words and paintings cause me to reflect on my own attitudes to the people that I interact with. See the beauty and potentiality in each human being!
Ernie, I never met you, but I feel I know you. I thank you for sharing your life's work and passion. It's brought joy to many. I celebrate your life on this day, August 4, 2010. Thanks for fervently pursuing your gifts and talents from God with passion, purpose and heart.
An Admirer,
Clarence Gaines
Clarence Gaines
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment