Internalizing John Wooden's Definition of Success

Dr. Lorraine Johnson Williams is the guiding force behind Track Mom, which is one of my favorite Youth Sports sites. Lorraine asked her readers to write about their most memorable track and field experience in 2010.  I penned the following article for her web site, which she titled  "Don't Worry Dad."




My most memorable track and field experience had nothing to do with actually witnessing a track event, but everything to do with my son's response to an event he ran for the first time in his life at the SCA Junior Olympic Track and Field Meet in Cerritos, CA on 6/12/10. His response, "Don't worry about it dad, we know what I did and that's all that matters."

Garrett is an outstanding athlete. He also participates in soccer, basketball, and flag football. Track and Field was the first sport that Garrett wanted to do without me suggesting that he do it. He had to find his way in track and field. Garrett thought he was fast because he's the fastest kid in his class at school. He found out he wasn't blazing fast when he started running the short sprints in USATF and recreational track and field meets. He started running longer distances and began feeling better about his track and field accomplishments. During the 2010 season his main events in the Bantam Division (9 & 10) were the long jump (3.85M - 12'7 1/2") and 400(1:12.64) and 800(2:46) meter dashes.

At the SCA Junior Olympic Track and Field Meet I asked him if he wanted to try the 1500 meter. He was up to the challenge and ran an outstanding time of 5:45 (my hand time) his first time out. Pretty good for a kid who doesn't train for the 1500M. After the 1500M we left the meet. The next day we came back to Cerritos to run the 800 meter. He clocked his best time of the year in the 800M and finished 13th overall in the meet. We stayed around to watch the finals in the 100 and 200 meter dashes. It was a treat to see these talented young sprinters giving their all at one of the most competitive youth events in the country.

At the conclusion of the meet, I went to check on Garrett's official time and distances in his events. Garrett had a DNF by his name in the 1500M. I immediately filed an inquiry and left a phone number for a representative to get back to me. After not hearing from anybody at the SO CAL USATF office, I wrote an e-mail trying to resolve the situation. I felt it was important to get it resolved because Garrett did everything by the book. He checked in on time. Was assigned a number. Ran and finished the event with an earned time of 5:45. Like most youngsters involved in track and field, he also loves seeing his name in the National Elite Youth Ranking System and this factual inaccuracy would deprive him of that pleasure.

The SO CAL USATF officials were deaf to my request to right this wrong. It was at this point that Garrett told me, "Don't worry about it dad, we know what I did and that's all that matters."

Hearing Garrett utter that one sentence made my day. Garrett had internalized the first lesson that I've taught all of the athletes that I've ever coached in team sports and was applying it in this situation. What's the first lesson I teach young athletes? John Wooden's definition of success:

"SUCCESS IS PEACE OF MIND, WHICH IS A DIRECT RESULT OF SELF SATISFACTION IN KNOWING YOU DID YOUR BEST TO BECOME THE BEST THAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF BECOMING."

Key phrases in Wooden's definition are "peace of mind" and "self satisfaction." Garrett didn't need anybody to tell him that he had the 12th or 13th best time in the track meet, or the 290th best time in the country for his age group in 2010. He was content with his level of effort and performance, and was satisfied in knowing that he gave his all. His response meant more to me than a first place medal. It's nice to be acknowledged by others, but knowing when you've given your best effort and being content with the fruits of that effort is to be valued.

The beauty of track and field is that a kid can win without winning the race. You can win in track in field by giving your best and setting a personal record. Garrett finished 6th in the long jump at the LA Jets meet with his best long jump ever. He earned a ribbon in a "big time meet(his words)" and was ecstatic about his performance. Not everybody can win the race or place in the top 3; but we can all strive to be the best that we can possibly be. Track teaches this life lesson and many more. More than any other youth sport that I coach, track breeds independence. 2009 was Garrett's first track and field season. It's something he wanted to do. Little did I know that his request to participate in track and field would rekindle my love for a sport that I hadn't been a part of since high school; and for that, I'm grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CG's View Of KG (Kevin Garnett) When He Was In High School

That's my Game! Big House on Coach John McLendon - Father of Black College & Fast Break Basketball

Real Talk - Greg Newell on Dennis Johnson