Thoughts on Kobe Bryant -- Post-Dwight Howard Era (2012-13)
Kobe Bean Bryant - You either love him or hate him; shades of grey don't enter into the equation when most people voice an opinion on Kobe, it's either all-black or all-white. I recently came across comments made on a facebook page that pointed to Kobe's personality and selfish ways as being the primary reasons why Dwight Howard wanted nothing to do with entrusting his future to the Los Angeles Lakers. Greg Newell, son of the legendary Pete Newell, responded to the vitriolic comments about Kobe as follows:
This subject of Kobe has been discussed intensely on here. One thing I've come to find out; no one sits on the fence with Kobe. People LOVE him unconditionally!! Or the other side points out pretty much the same as you have. What's gonna be interesting to see is, once Kobe retires from the Game; who comes out (one of his former teammates) and espouses or exposes him? Take your pick? - Greg Newell
After reading Greg's thoughts, I made the following statement:
Kobe's already been exposed - Phil Jackson did it in his book, "The Last Season: A Team in Search of its Soul," but I think Bobby is being too hard on the Kobe we see today. I really think Kobe has matured in the latter stages of his career. I've been as hard on Kobe as anyone, but I also know from personal experience how tough Michael Jordan could be on his teammates. You either could withstand the force of his personality, or you couldn't. Many wilted, those who could handle the pressure, earned his respect. Rick Barry was no peach. I'm sure we can think of many others. Kobe came into a man's world as a boy - NBA is a hard world to come into as a boy - He's matured more than most give him credit for - I enjoy listening to Kobe talk about the game. I thought his comments at Jerry Buss' memorial were incredible. A man should be judged for his entire career, not just part of it. Hopefully, we all grow as we experience different situations. For some it happens sooner, for others, later. I've got nothing but respect for "Bean" - them last two chips didn't come from him being a selfish prick.
I also referenced an article that highlighted Phil Jackson's views during his first tenure with the Lakers, as well as his second tenure - "Phil Jackson's new book focuses a lot on (who else?) Kobe Bryant"
Phil Jackson saw my comments and tweeted the link to his followers with some typical PJ jargon:
Comments
Post a Comment