The Zimmerman Verdict - My Immediate Thoughts



We Don't Have A Justice System, We Have A Legal System!

The above quote resonated with many when I shared it on twitter. I've followed two trials on television closely in my life, The Zimmerman trial and the O.J. Simpson trial. Many were shocked that the jury pronounced George Zimmerman "not guilty" of the 2nd degree murder/manslaughter of Trayvon Martin.  I wasn't. 'UNBELIEVABLE' was a word utilized by many on social media sites. The jury verdict wasn't 'UNBELIEVABLE' if you followed the Zimmerman trial and have an understanding of the law, court room procedures, and the "reasonable doubt" standard. The most 'UNBELIEVABLE' verdict I've ever seen in a courtroom was rendered by the jurors in the O.J. Simpson trial, "not guilty." Now that was 'UNBELIEVABLE!

I had the opportunity to read a blog by Mark Eiglarsh, a criminal defense lawyer in the state of Florida, before the verdict was announced. I highly recommend you read, Zimmerman Jurors Must Find Him “Not Guilty.” by Attorney Eiglarsh. It's a primer on why the Zimmerman verdict should not be considered 'UNBELIEVABLE." The twitter timeline of Attorney Elisabeth Epps is also recommended. Days before the verdict was announced, I suggested people should follow Epps if they were interested in understanding how the jury could reach a "not guilty" verdict. Epps continually ripped the State's case and pointed out their lack of evidence, strategic deficiencies, and poor preparation. Click on the Chirpstory link to read Epps' real-time comments that started on Day 13 (July 11, 2013 - start of closing arguments by prosecution) of the Zimmerman Trial and ended on July 14 after the jury delivered a "not guilty" verdict for George Zimmerman for the killing of Trayvon Martin - "Attorney Elisabeth Epps Speaks - George Zimmerman Trial"

Decided to recommend another analysis of the case after writing this blog - "Six Reasons Why Florida Prosecutors Lost the Zimmerman Trial."

I commented on the makeup of the jury before the verdict was announced. I'm not a fan of a 6 person jury for any type of murder or manslaughter case.  I think the Florida legislature needs to reevaluate the use of a 6 person jury system in these type of cases. I was very disappointed at the lack of male representation on the jury. I also tired of commentators talking about the stereotypical benefits of an all-female jury - more detailed and organized - collaborative and deliberative. Being collaborative & deliberative are great qualities for jurors to have,but don't discount the need to sometimes be confrontational in a jury room as well.  "Group think" is a real issue and a problem in all facets of our society. One of my favorite quotes is that "None of us is as dumb as all of us."  Most of us recognize the value of diverse voices/experiences in a work setting or classroom; but in a jury room it appears all bets are off when it comes to ensuring a jury is somewhat representative of the community in which the case is tried.

Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark, NJ, had some thoughtful tweets after the Zimmerman verdict:
  • We must mourn the unnecessary & unjust death of a child, but to honor him we must rededicate ourselves to the very ideals that were violated. - Cory Booker 
  •  Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
  •  There is a higher court than courts of justice, and that is the court of conscience. It supersedes all other courts. - Mahatma Gandhi
  •  Bigotry & hate won't just quietly disappear - nor be defeated by more hate. It'll take stubborn, relentless, unyielding love and service. - Cory Booker
  • Change doesn't roll in on wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. So we must straighten our backs and work for freedom. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
George Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman, was interviewed by Piers Morgan after the verdict was announced. His interview made my stomach turn: "They have seen what Trayvon Martin did to my brother and it's high time people accept that." There are other quotes from the interview that are just as offensive. Black Voices said it best: "Given an opportunity to discuss racial healing, Robert Zimmerman Jr. instead chose to disparage Trayvon Martin, who is dead." Robert needs to shut up - Got to know when to be quiet and count your blessings. After hearing Robert's interview, my Words of Wisdom to him would be the following: Inflammatory words used by you, friends or other members of the Zimmerman family will cause more problems than the actual verdict. Be wise!



On the night of the Zimmerman verdict I became aware of the Marissa Alexander case that was tried in Florida in 2012. "Alexander of Jacksonville, Fla., received a 20-years prison sentence on Friday, May 11, 2012, for firing warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband. The judge rejected a defense under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law." Besides the link above, I'm including a link to Congresswoman Corrine Brown's blog on Marissa Alexander, "No Mercy, No Justice." Comparing the outcomes of the two cases makes me want to scream!


I heard a New York lawyer comment on CNN about the Zimmerman verdict. He hit the nail on the head in talking about the case. The Zimmerman case is about disproportionate force. In New York, Zimmerman would have been convicted of manslaughter. New York gun laws are more stringent than Florida's laws. The New York lawyer's statement that "you don't bring a gun to a fist fight" will forever be embedded in my brain when I think of George Zimmerman's actions in taking the life of Trayvon Martin. It's a sad commentary that in our country, Zimmerman's killing of Martin can't be viewed in the same manner across state lines. Guilty in New York, not guilty in Florida.


















Garrett (now 13) and I took pictures in 2012 in our hoodies to honor the life of Trayvon Martin and to protest the Sanford Police Department's handling of the case. I was initially going to put our pictures at the top of the story, but felt the image of Trayvon lying dead on the ground would have a sobering impact on one's consciousness.

Many parents of young Black males are searching for ways to explain the verdict, as well as the ways of the United States to their sons. I'm going to request that Garrett read this blog and to pay particular attention to the Cord Jefferson post that I'm linking: The Zimmerman Jury Told Young Black Men What We Already Knew

L'CHAIM! - RIP - Tray!

President Barack Obama's Statement  

 “The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy.  Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America.  I know this case has elicited strong passions.  And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher.  But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken.  I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son.  And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities.  We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis.  We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this.  As citizens, that’s a job for all of us.  That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin.”

Also decided to link an Op-ed piece that appeared in the Wall Street Journal that was written by Jason Riley. Riley is Black - "Race, Politics and the Zimmerman Trial."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CG's View Of KG (Kevin Garnett) When He Was In High School

Heartbreaker - My view of Chris Herren & ESPN's Documentary, "Unguarded"

That's my Game! Big House on Coach John McLendon - Father of Black College & Fast Break Basketball