Unstoppable - Anthony Robles - A Case Study in Perseverance

Who is Anthony Robles? If you didn't watch the ESPYs you probably don't have a clue.  I don't do sports awards shows, but I was lucky to catch a replay of Anthony Robles being awarded the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance. Anthony's story was pure inspiration and it touched me to the core. The video that introduced Anthony's story and his accomplishments to the audience was outstanding, but his speech was even better. Take 6 minutes & 36 seconds of your life to soak in his story and it will be a part of your consciousness for the rest of your life.




I made a point of showing Anthony's video to my 16 year old daughter and 11 year old son. My daughter gets mad at me because I tell her that she plays at sports and doesn't understand the commitment one must have to be really good at a sport. I said five words to my children before showing them the video: THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES!

When I was 12 years old my sister gave me a poster with a poem by Calvin Coolidge, who was the 30th President of the United States. The poem was entitled Persistence and Determination and Anthony lives up to the words in Coolidge's poem as well as anyone I've encountered.

PERSISTENCE AND DETERMINATION
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; 
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. 
Genius will not; Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. 
Education will not; The world is full of educated derelicts. 
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. 
The slogan 'Press On' has solved,
And always will solve the problems of the human race.

Anthony finished his outstanding speech with his own poem that easily matched Coolidge's message:

 UNSTOPPABLE
"Every soul who comes to earth with a leg or two at birth must wrestle his opponents knowing it’s not what is, it’s what can be that measures worth. Make it hard, just make it possible and through pain I’ll not complain. My spirit is unconquerable, fearless I will face each foe, for I know I am capable. I don’t care what’s probable, through blood, sweat, and tears, I am unstoppable.”

Anthony's story is worth knowing. Kalani Simpson wrote an outstanding article on Anthony and his mother entitled, "Anthony Robles' 'unstoppable' drive." It's a great read and I hope you click on the link I provided for you.

Anthony's smile lights up a room and his spirit and joy for life spoke to me because I've become somewhat jaded as I've gotten older. I want to thank Anthony for challenging my approach to life and I hope I get back to living the words of Calvin Coolidge's poem in my own life.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CG's View Of KG (Kevin Garnett) When He Was In High School

Heartbreaker - My view of Chris Herren & ESPN's Documentary, "Unguarded"

That's my Game! Big House on Coach John McLendon - Father of Black College & Fast Break Basketball