March Madness Tribute - Remembering John "Kraze" Kratzer
Last year on March 16, 2010 William & Mary played UNC in the NIT at historic Carmichael Arena. UNC won the game 80 to 72, but the game was significant to me because it brought back memories from a game I attended when I was a student at William & Mary on December 7, 1977.
William & Mary has not enjoyed much basketball success since its inception. The NCAA started classifying institutions as Division 1 for the 1948-49 season. William & Mary is the second oldest school in the country and is one of only five original Division one institutions whom have never appeared in the NCAA tournament. They other schools in this not-so-elite class are Army, The Citadel, Northwestern, and St. Francis College in New York. The only postseason playoff berths "The Tribe" has participated in are the 1983 and 2010 National Invitational Tournaments.
I wrote the following comments in the Tar Heel Fan Blog to honor the memory of John Kratzer and to share a story about one of the most memorable games I've ever watched in my life.
UNC plays William and Mary in the NIT. I’m an alumnus of both schools. BBA from W&M & MBA from UNC. Attended a game on 12/7/77. UNC was the #2 team in the Nation on that day. Being from NC, I told everybody that the Heels would cream the Tribe. W&M had a solid team that year. They would go 16-10. There was a spirit running through “The Hall” that night that I will always remember. It was one of the first times that I witnessed how a team could overachieve, if they were united as one. William and Mary hoopers were united that night, because their team captain, John Kratzer was battling cancer. Kratzer’s nickname was Kraze. His teammates had not seen him before that night because he was undergoing chemotherapy treatments in Atlanta.
“His teammates didn’t see him again until the night of Dec. 7, 1977, when William and Mary hosted second-ranked North Carolina. Kraze returned to Williamsburg either that day or the night before, nobody can remember for sure which. They do remember this: He was a big part of what happened.” “William and Mary stunned the college basketball world, if only for a night, with a 78-75 win. UNC coach Dean Smith later told reporters he knew his team was in trouble when Kratzer arrived to a thunderous, five-minute ovation from the sold-out crowd – that even had some of his own players tearing up.” “It was unbelievable,” Weslee Lynch said. “Un-be-lievable.” “When I walked downstairs and got to our locker room, the entire team had John surrounded and they were just hugging him,” said Bruce Parkhill, then in his first season as W&M’s head coach. “Looking at the smile on his face … I’ll never forget that. That’s my fondest memory of that game.”
I also will never forget that game. Here’s an article from the Daily Press that commemorates Kratzer’s legacy. Here’s to you Kraze – Thinking of you as the Tribe meets the Heels again. May your spirit endure with those who knew you and know about you.
________________________________________________________________

Comments
Post a Comment